Saturday, October 25, 2008

Been a while

Sorry it's been a while. We have had a lot going on! Therapy has been going well, the only thing that bugs me is he has someone new almost every time and it throws him. He eventually adjusts and it is all people that he has had in the past and I know they can't help it, but still... He is a bit agitated more because he is in there at the same time another severely autistic child is getting listening therapy and he hates putting on his ear phones, so he screams bloody murder. I know he can't help it, but it is loud, I can hear him all the way up front, I can't imagine how Landon feels being closer to him. I am sure it makes it hard for him to concentrate. Hopefully his loop will be over soon and he can get a break from all the screaming. I have no doubt when it is his turn for that, he will be doing the same thing!

I met with the director of the exceptional children's preschool too. She was very nice and we got to see the classroom he could be in. His testing his scheduled for Friday. After that they will develop an IEP for him, which will show how he learns best and he might be able to start class soon. She thinks his would probably be in the afternoon for a couple of hours. They have one main teacher and 2 assistants. I don't know what happened, I am sure that it wasn't meant to be taken wrong, but it is me, so I did take it wrong: when we were in her office Landon plugged in a fan and she jumped on him about it  before I could say anything to him. I thought it was inappropriate that she do that when his parent was right there and she was too harsh for such a little thing. Not that I think he needs to get away with murder, because he doesn't at home, but like I said, I should have handled it. She only knew him for about 10 minutes before that, she didn't know how to approach him or to treat him, he doesn't need that much sternness, she hurt his feelings with her tone and he was in tears. I tried to explain it to him and reassure him, but he didn't care, he wanted to leave. I am worried, because of the fact that he forgets nothing, that when we have to go back for testing, he will become upset because that is all he is going to remember, and that he won't test well and it will affect everything because she will be there and all he remembers is she yelled at him. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with these people; and have Landon suffer for it because they are under the assumption that I am just a bitch and stop listening to me, but I was really bothered by that. I don't think she is a mean person and it wasn't meant to by hateful, but he is not a regular child, he can't be treated like one. 

We also met with a family therapist who is supposed to help us deal with all of this, the kids included. I think it will be good for us, although she is a little dry to be a therapist who deals with kids... I think I just wasn't liking anyone this week! Maybe next week will be better... I don't want to be known as impossible, but this is so important, these first steps we are taking affect him and us more then I can say. I don't want to be responsible for ruining his life or delay him because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. He is my first priority, always.

We went back to our play groups this week. It is the first time scheduling has allowed us to go; that and with people being sick. Landon still had a hard time; he doesn't do well with younger kids crying. I don't know what to do in those situations, I feel guilty, like I am putting everyone at unease. I don't want people to dread when we come and I have honestly thought about just quitting. But Halle needs it so much. She is not in preschool and needs to be around other kids. She loves to go. I wish there were 2 of me! 

Speaking of Halle, she has been going to the potty! All of a sudden last week she started pulling down her pants and saying she needed to go. She has been going every day for a week now. Not every time, but at least once or twice a day. I am so proud of her and she is proud of herself. :)

I spoke with a woman who has an autistic son and she is amazing. She has been so helpful, supportive and understanding with everything. It is good to talk to someone who knows how I am feeling and has been where I have been. I felt so much better after I talked to her and she gave me a lot of things to try with Landon that has helped her son. And I graduated with her other son, it is a small world. :) 

No comments: